Sunday, March 21, 2010

Parenting takes another hit...

Do you ever wonder if you are doing this right? This whole parenting thing? Does anyone else have a child 50.1% of the time like I do? Anyone have a 3 year old that cries for his dad when you have to discipline him and then feel that stab to the heart when he cries for his dad? Anyone? What do you do? How do you not let it effect you and make you feel like the worst parent in the world? I am torn between giving in because I don't want to be the "bad" parent but I also don't want a child who is going to run all over me. So, what do I do? Tonight, for example, I had to sit there and try not to let my frustration and hurt get the better of me but I wanted to cry. Does he cry for me when his father disciplines him? I hardly discipline him! Stern talks, of course but it's rare he sits in time out. I am pretty lucky to have a pretty well behaved child. So, I sit here and wonder if I am a good mom, if there is something else I should be doing, if anyone else feels the pain of of a child who wants the other parent instead of you and if any of this will get easier?

1 comment:

  1. Oh love. As a kid I remember threatening to go live with my biological dad when my parents were disciplining me. It was the only ammo I had to throw back & it makes me want to slap my 10 year old self.

    I think you are an AMAZING mom. Truly.

    ReplyDelete